Thursday, January 5, 2012

Feng Shui for Newbies and Tonights Hockey game


Earlier this morning, I had a visit from a nice young couple from Thunderbay, they have flown in just to see the Toronto Maple Leafs play Winnepeg tonight. 

When they walked into my home, I could feel the energy "shift". They had good feng shui. 

I was telling them that I need more chi or zen !  I also told them about  watching Steven and Chris the other day, they interviewed an awesome Feng shui consultant Laura Morris.  She made sense. I loved what she did with simple items like art boxes and fluff furry pillows.  

I have decided that I seriously need to Feng Shui and I would like to do this in time for my Moms Birthday, which is January 23rd, it coincides with Chinese New Year.  I think Positive Thoughts create good feng shui, so tonight I am thinking Positive-for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I must take care of the corners in my home and in my office, possibly even my car.(I'm a newbie, so maybe you cannot feng shui a car)

What is Feng Shui?

Feng Shui can be more personalized when using your Kua Number, make sure you use a Chinese Calendar and not your western birth.  Using the iPhone App is the most accurate way.

My Number is 7.  Feng Shui is based on the 4 corners of your home or office.  So I am arranging some things to see if I can get the Leafs to score 4 goals tonight in 3 periods. Add the 4+3-7(my number) If that works-Then I think I should buy a lotto ticket on Friday.

Feng shui is an ancient Chinese philosophy and system designed to help you live more harmoniously with your environment. Feng shui literally translates into wind-water and is believed to help improve our lives by bringing us positive qi (chi) or energy. We could all use a little more positive energy in our lives. : )

In my search to find the best (aka easiest + cheapest) ways to add a little feng shui style to my home, I found three basic ways of finding that harmony but I am searching for more, so please if you have info, send me a message. : )

1) De-Clutter. This is the easiest of the three steps, and the one that will provide the most noticeable and immediate effect. Less clutter equals less stress. Get rid of anything you don’t need, use, or love. (Better yet, donate it to a good cause.)

When deciding what to keep in your space, try to avoid excessive use of overhead lighting and anything with sharp corners. The general goal is to create spaces that are balanced, as in the yin and the yang. Your home should make you feel relaxed, stimulated, or energetic without feeling lethargic, depressed, or anxious.

2) Define your spaces – making at least one space a relaxation area. On Zimbio.com, feng shui expert, Ken Lauer, states, “As the threshold between your home and the outside world, you want to bring a bit of the natural world into your living room using Feng Shui colors.”

3) Introduce the five basic elements of feng shui into your home. There are five basic elements in feng shui design – wood, fire, metal, earth, and water. Each element is associated with different benefits, and is represented by corresponding colors, shapes, positions in the home, and symbols. The directions in the chart below indicate a good positioning for the element for general harmony.



When you begin decorating, start small so none of the elements become overwhelming. (Another great way to start is by simply adding A Buddha, which always brings good energy into your home.) The elements you introduce should “get along” with the other aspects of the home, and be represented in every area of your home for the fullest benefits. To make the most impact, focus on color first, shape second and material third.

Placing the elements in different positions of the home will result in different effects. This is actually quite interesting so I plan to learn alot more about this philosophy. I don't think I would hire a home stager for one of my sellers unless they understood the philosophy behind various cultures. To me, it is all a matter of respect.

Feng shui is an ancient art with many interesting aspects, which we will explore further in this blog. Feel free to comment with your own feng shui decorating ideas and experiences. I would love to hear about the effects it has on your life!

The Steve and Chris show which aired January 2nd, 2012 included some additional info.

I am gonna "borrow" some photos,

The Elements
Here's how to make a 5 ELEMENTS ARRANGEMENT for your home:









First, choose a vessel that appeals to you. This could be anything from a glass vase, tabletop mirror or a clay dish.


Then add something from each of the 5 Elements.

1. WOOD


Wood is represented in things like: bamboo, fresh flowers, silk flowers, fruit - lemons and limes work great!


Water items: crystals, mirrored surfaces, glass stones, glass vases and you guessed it, water!



Metal is found in: gold (i.e. gold coins or gold stones) or even simple pennies!
 
 

Earth items can be: stones, sand, a clay bowl or a porcelain plate as your vessel



Fire can be represented with candles or even seashells.




Laura says, "Make it your own. Use things you like and that you find pleasing - this is going to enhance your energy so have fun and be creative."

Colours Associated with the Elements

Wood - greens


Fire - reds, oranges (some purples)

Earth - yellow, ochres, browns

Metal - white, metallics

Water - black, dark blue




•Plants are always growing so they stimulate chi in any room. You should avoid large plants in the bedroom where you need to sleep and rest. They also take oxygen out of the air at night and produce carbon dioxide.

•Keep dried flowers no longer than a few weeks. It's like having a graveyard in your house. It's dying, deteriorating chi.

•Make sure they are always healthy. Get rid of bug infested plants and sick or dead plants right away.

•A thorny cactus plant or any spiky plant like yucca and mother-in-law's tongue, emits loads of cutting chi and symbolically indicates a dry, hostile environment so light, airy plants with rounded leaves are always favoured.

Have a great day everyone! Let me know how this works for you. 

Lisa




























No comments:

Post a Comment